Are you ready for a rewarding new career?
The Union Rescue Mission’s culinary training program prepares men and women for rewarding careers in the food service industry. The KitchenPrep course provides intensive training and hands-on experience in all aspects of commercial kitchen operation. It prepares graduates for rewarding careers in the challenging and fast-paced world of hospitality and restaurant business.
Upon course completion, graduates step into positions as line cooks, catering assistants and other mid-level kitchen jobs. Graduates receive assistance from KitchenPrep counselors in securing gainful employment.
KitchenPrep is an eight-week curriculum involving 16 hours of classroom and kitchen lab work each week spread over three days. Trainees complete both written and practical assignments taught by Union Rescue Mission staff and guest instructors.
Classes are small, generally 6-8 students. During their training, students will serve an internship, either in the Mission’s own food service operation or with a host chef.
What Students Learn
The training at KitchenPrep was developed in concert with experienced restaurant and food service professionals. The objective is to equip students with all the basic skills to function well in a commercial kitchen with little to no direction by the person in charge.
Who Should Apply?
KitchenPrep is appropriate for:
- Unemployed or underemployed individuals in need of retooling for the job market.
- Novices who are exploring culinary arts as a possible career.
- Previous food service workers who need significant skills and knowledge upgrades.
- Graduates of Union Rescue Mission life-change programs.
- 18 years of age
- Willingness to adhere to attendance policy (maximum absence – 8 hours)
- Be currently unemployed or underemployed. Exceptions may be made on a “space available basis.”
- Pass TABE Test: 6th grade reading and vocabulary levels and 5th grade math level.
- Pass drug test at admission and at any time during training
- Submit to a criminal background check. A record will not affect admission.
How and Where to Apply
An application for enrollment must be completed a minimum of ten (10) days prior to the start of a new course. New classes begin on the second Monday of odd numbered months (July, September, November, etc.). Applications are available at www.urmwichita.org/KitchenPrep or from the Mission office:
Union Rescue Mission of Wichita
2800 North Hillside Wichita, Kansas 67219-4702
Tuition & Scholarships
- Tuition is $285 total ($200 in student fees and $85 for course materials and tools). There is a $40 non-refundable application fee.
- A limited number of scholarships are available
- To learn more about these opportunities or to apply, please contact Cesar Castellanos, URM Food Services Director at (316) 687-4673, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.